Monday, May 9, 2016

Love From L.A.!!!

Hello Family,
We have had a great week, it was great talking with you all and being
able to see how much you have all changed. I'm sure I look a lot
different as well.
Our week was a more looking for the needle in the haystack week. We
were contacting and finding like crazy trying to find those who are
prepared to listen to our message. It seems like that is what we do
most on a mission. So many people around us, but not too many prepared
people.
We had a good week, in detail this is what happened.
Monday
Today was fun we played Basketball again and it was weird because I
saw an old missionary that was in the same district as me when I
started my mission. It's weird to think how time has flown by. He was
out 8 months when I first came and now he has been out 17 months,
whoosh! That's insane.
After that we just went and contacted around not a lot of people were
interested, but that's their decision. I then ended the day by writing
in my journal, again after honestly two months. :/
Tuesday
Today we went around sharing the gospel with many people we shared,
what we call street lessons with people where we rush through the
Restoration of the Gospel and just ask them if we can stop by and
share more in depth of the message we share to them. It worked with
one person named M. It's really fun though it helps you work up
your speed talking skills especially when the person is walking away
from you. Haha We also met up with A. today he is really close to
baptism and we went over the big commandments the Word of Wisdom and
the Law of Chastity and he is honestly the first one I have had that
has said "Nope I have no problems at all with those," we were like
WHAT! He is super prepared.
After that we went to help this girl we had recently baptized be
interviewed for a temple recommend, it's really cool because he is
Jewish born, but she doesn't feel like Judaism is true, so she decided
to change. It was good she passed and this Saturday she will go to the
temple and be baptized in proxy for her great grandmother.
That was today though.
Wednesday
Today we met this guy named K. and he is HUGE!! He is a personal
trainer and he was someone we contacted at the start of the week and
we shared The Restoration with him and he seemed to understand it. He
doesn't seem that religious, but he was interested to look into the
Book of Mormon which was cool. We planned to stop by again later, he
told us to just text him, maybe he can help me look buff. ;)
The rest of the day we were contacting like crazy, meaning we were
walking around tracting and talking to people as much as possible.
We had splits tonight as well and I went out with Brother Callahan, he
is awesome, they were the ones that let us Skype at their house. He is
really into missionary work. We went by A. she is from the Ivory
Coast and her father J. was asleep, but it was cool, I feel like
her father is holding her back from coming to Church. We are planning
on taking them to the Visitor Center.
Thursday
Today we were able to teach both J. and A. and tried to figure
out a visitor center trip so that they can come and learn in French. I
showed them The Restoration in French so I think that helped a lot
too, but it reassured me that J. understands what we say even
though his native language is French because he told us we have talked
about this already, but hey if he is not coming to Church then we need
to show it over and over again. J. believes it doesn't matter
where you go to Church as long as you worship God, but we try to
explain the priesthood with him, hopefully he will come around, it's
just awkward because we don't want to give up on them because A. is
so prepared.
After that we went by and shared a lesson with M., she is a
stubborn teenager, but we mostly are working on her brother M. 
who is already baptized, but needs to get back into shape with the
Gospel.
Friday
Today was really fun you all would be proud of me and my companion
because we held a ministry at a barber shop, so apparently there was an
old investigator and the missionaries would teach her at her barber
shop. So we went and taught her at her barbershop and it was
interesting because we taught her and there were two other guys there
so we had a little mini ministry in her barbershop.
We tried visiting A. again, but as always his phone was having
problems so we lost contact with him. Hopefully we will get in contact
with him soon since he is supposed to be getting baptized this next
week.
Saturday
Today we went back to S's barbershop and we ran into a very
anti-Mormon guy who kept telling us Jesus is all you need and that
Joseph Smith was a crook and that we are going to rot in Hell with
him. :( Haha It was a new experience for me. It was cool though
because S. stood up for us, we just stood there and let him say
what he wanted to say. Other than that we just walked around and
contacted like crazy again, talking with people, it's super fun.
Sunday
Today was cool, I enjoyed Skyping with my Fam bam. We had to set up
for another wards baptism and the Elders wanted us to give the
missionary moment at the baptism, but we were unable to because of
Skype, because my companion had to do it at 5:00 or else he
wouldn't have the chance to see his sister. They did end up finding
someone, but the Elders were really stressed when it came down to it.
Other than that it was a fun day.
We had a great miracle at Church, a recent convert family was coming
to Church because the father was receiving the priesthood. When they
showed up to Church the son had a girlfriend and she showed up with
the family. It was really cool because the mom said that the
girlfriend wanted to take the lessons. We planned on visiting them
that night, but now we are visiting them today. We are excited to see
what happens.
All in all it was a great week. I was glad to see your faces on Skype
and to be able to talk with you. I hope you all are doing well. I am
super excited to hear more from you. I actually am doing a little
better at taking pictures. We went to Beverly Hills today and took
some pictures. I will send them in a separate email.
I hope you all have a great week, I know our Heavenly Father loves us
and I will have some stories hopefully for next week.
 
Love,
Palm treeElder Jacklin
P.S: I was wondering Mom how you go about finding pants that actually
fit me. We went to Ross, but I had a hard time finding pants that are
long enough for me.
That's all I have for now.
Love you!
 
Me, Elder Pearson, Elder Clarke, and Elder Babo at the Beverly Hills Sign.

Me in front of the Beverly Hills sign, I felt the pride at this place. Haha

Beverly Hills GQ Pose:)

Me and my companion had a bit of fun after a hard day.


I thought I would us a picture to explain everything about my companion. This is the personality of my companion.
Elder Clarke suggested that we do this and write, "You want the
fruit of this tree." Haha

Tree Picture

We took pictures at this weird statue. It's art apparently!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment