Monday, February 29, 2016

Love From Hawthorne!!!

Hey Family,
So my new area is Hawthorne and actually we are having normal
transfers tomorrow on Tuesday, my new companion that is coming is
Elder Piepgrass who, funny enough, was the district leader in my last
area. I am right now in a trio with Elder Alarcon who is going
home on Wednesday and Elder Sleight who was called to be a zone
leader, so pretty much President sent me into a new area to learn for
one week and then I'll have to lead the area, it's a lot to take in. So
right now it's pretty crazy with who is going where.
This new area Hawthorne is not too bad in most areas, there are a
select few areas that kind of compare to where I was, but it's not too
bad. There are definitely a lot more things to visit here in Hawthorne.
There are like 8 supermarkets in my area and many more places to go
which is completely different from where I was before. I am also in a car
again and this next transfer I am going to be driving so I get to
drive in busy L.A again. :P We also get to see all the planes coming
in from the East descend to land at LAX, which is pretty cool to see,
there are a ton of planes that fly through here, some are really big.
Well this week was really cool, we had a crazy experience where we ran
into a guy riding his bike and Elder Alarcon called him over and
they talked to him because he spoke Spanish and it was cool because
Elder Alarcon just went to this beer bottle in his basket and said,
"You don't need this," and the guy agreed and Elder Alarcon dumped it
out and the guy was wanting to quit drinking and it was really cool.
There is a lot of success here in Hawthorne, for some reason everyone
says it has the highest baptizing rate which is really interesting.
Who knows I haven't been here long. We had a cool experience too with
this guy who said he was atheist, but by the end of the lesson we
changed his mind and he wanted to learn more. There is a lot of work
to do here as well.
That's cool that Connor is starting to work for his drivers license.
Sorry I don't know what else to say.
So my new companion Elder Piepgrass is from Canada, but he is from
Kentucky if that makes sense. He is pretty close to the end of his
mission, he is really cool though I think there isn't going to be any
problems between us. He actually comes from a line of good teeth,
because his whole family line have been dentists so it's kind of funny
he said he is going to be a dentist too so he is following his family
traditions. Haha
This week's been great we actually attended a Tongan feast for a
missionary leaving on his mission and oh my goodness there was so much
food. There were 15 cooked pigs and I mean the full pigs, and also 30
some odd cooked Lobsters. It was really crazy I was thinking the whole
time how much money it must have cost them to have that party.
Apparently it is tradition for Polynesians to, when a missionary is
leaving or coming home, have a huge feast and my goodness they go
all out. It was really crazy, well this transfer the other Elders were
in charge of the Tongan ward, but this next transfer we are not. This
is going to be interesting too because they said we have a car, but
they are now saying we might not have a car so I might be on a bike
again, we will just see what happens.
Well actually while I was typing this Elder Alarcon was getting a hair
cut and one of the old Lakers basketball players came in, Derrick
Fischer, and got his hair cut, but I was taller than him, haha. :) I
took a little pride in that.
The Inglewood zone is for only Elders because it isn't really the best
place for Sisters. It isn't as bad as Compton, but it is bad enough
for Sisters to not be here, they mostly keep sisters for Santa Monica, Palos
Verdes, Bell, and The Visitor Center. This area I am in is actually not
as bad as I was in though, but as a missionary you don't really need
to worry as much as normal in bad areas.
Well I am grateful for the support. I had probably the pivotal point
of my mission happen this last week. It was amazing I suddenly didn't
care what others think, I have had the most comfortable conversations
out here on my mission. It's crazy how much the mission can change you
and I've still got a long way to go with my mission and I am glad that I
do.
Well I hope you are having a great week and I was so glad to hear from
you. Thank you for all the help and this is going to be fun. I am going
to start sending more pictures home hopefully so you can actually see
me every week. I hope you all have a great week, and have a blessed
week.
 
P.S: I have used my personal card, but that was to help some of my
companions out with food other than that I used it for the Bike and
some studying things. Other than that I am good. Have a great week.
Love,
Palm treeElder Jacklin

No comments:

Post a Comment